Sunday, October 2, 2011

Imported post: Facebook Note: 2011-10-02T13:31:06

We had heard the locals rave about The Homestead for years, so when we had a chance to go to celebrate a birthday with friends, we were anticipating a wonderful dining experience.  We ended up being sorely disappointed.    The birthday girl (my lady) ordered the hot crab dip as an appetizer, and it arrived dry, firm, and luke warm, not hot.  It was also flavorless.  The pita chips that were intended to be used as a scoop for the dip were stale.   Three out of four entrees were inproperly cooked.  The prime rib was ordered rare, arrived medium-well, and was sent back, only to be replaced by a cut that was medium-rare at best.  My T-bone was also ordered rare, and arrived cooked medium.  I would have sent it back as well, but decided not to because I was hungry.  It was tough and flavorless.  I ordered the twice baked potato casserole as my side dish, and it was barely warm and flavorless.  After I added salt and pepper to it, I could taste a rancid background flavor.   One of our guests ordered the chicken tenders which arrived dry, and cold.  The accompanying fries appeared to still be frozen inside.  There was also no catsup on the table, nor was there any sort of dipping sauce served with the tenders.  Our other guest ordered the Cajun Catfish, which he said was good.  Oh, I almost forgot - I ordered the fried oysters as a side to my steak.  They were dry and cold, and the dipping sauce that was served with them was unremarkable.   I've seen better chicken tenders at the ballpark, I've had better steak cooked on my grill, and I expect the twice baked potato casserole will make some diners ill.   The steaks were clearly assembly line jobs, and the side dishes were clearly not made to order, but frozen days earlier, and reheated for service.   Our server was inattentive and a klutz, our entrees were served about the same time we got back from the salad bar, the food was bad to disgustingly bad.  The fact that so many Personians love the place just goes to show that the people here have no idea at all what a good dining experience is.   If you want to strap on the feed bag and don't care how your food looks, tastes, or is prepared, then this is the place for you.   We won't be going back.  

No comments: